CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Poems

Poems will be presented in class on Tuesday, February 26. 


Stage Fright

I wanted the role.
The Prince.

THE PRINCE

I got it.
I knew it.
I was totally convinced.

I memorized each line.
I learned them each by heart.
I studied and I studied
My perfect Prince-part.

But-
When I took center stage
            I stammered
            I Stuttered
            I Hemmed and
            I Hawed then
            Suddenly I shuddered.

My heart skipped a beat.
My Face turned bright red.
Until finally the Prince-words
Popped back into my head.

Though I'll always know
My mind simply snapped
I still got a thrill
When I took my last bow
As my classmates
            Stood up
            Shouted
            And
            Clapped.

-by Lee Bennett Hopkins


 First Snowfall

The little mouse
In her knothole house
Where her bed is warm and dry...
Does she get a shock
When it's snow o'clock
And whiteness fills the sky?

She only knows
About grass that grows,
And weed stalks turned to gold.
She never has heard
A single word
About the snow and cold.

On a sudden night
When the world turns white
and green and gold are through,
The little mouse
In her knothole house...
Does she wonder what to do?

--Aileen Fisher 


The Frost-Pane

What's the good of breathing
On the window
Pane
In summer?
You can't make a frost
On the window pane
In summer.
You can't write an
alphabet,
You can't draw an
elephant:
You can't make a smudge
With your nose
In summer.

Lots of good, breathing
On the window
Pane
In winter.
You can make a frost
On the window pane
In winter.
A white frost, a light frost,
A write-me-out-a-Picture-frost
Across the pane
In winter

-by David McCord 

No comments:

Post a Comment